Tuesday, June 26, 2012

TIMES OF CHANGE....

I know that I haven't posted in awhile and for that I'm sorry.  Like many of you have probably experienced at different times in your lives, I've recently been going through a lot of change, and even loss.  Work layoffs, the loss of a pet, relationship changes and so on have made this a transition period, but to me, that is why this blog is so important.  Everyone goes through hard times, where material things like expensive furniture or artwork or home decorations are not realistic financially.  They aren't necessities, but instead are frivolous purchases that need alternatives.  That $5000 couch just isn't an option anymore, nor maybe should it have ever been.  I'm a strong believer that situations happen in your life in order to put things into perspective.  Do you need to spend that much on one piece of furniture?  You don't want to sit on the floor, but you need a couch and have budget restrictions that you hadn't expected, so what do you do?  Where do you shop? 

I write this blog for those that want a beautiful home, but appreciate that little red sticker that says "Clearance, $9.99" on the vase that they needed to complete their dining room table.  I write this blog for the overworked and underpaid people that deserve a nice home just as much as their wealthy bosses...the people that take a lot of pride in the $20 coffee table bowl they bought at the farmers market, because they know how hard they worked for that money.  The moms and dads that spend their Saturdays driving around to garage sales to make their house a home for their kids, but can't afford to walk into just any store and buy what they need...that's why I write this blog. 

Surround yourself with the things you love, and know that the things you should really love shouldn't come with a high price tag.  To me, what I love is this sketched picture of my sweet Gretzky, who was my best friend for 13 years. 

If what you love is a $5000 couch, that's your choice, but there are so many more important things you will one day need in life, and you need to plan and save accordingly.  We would all love to walk into a ritzy furniture store in Manhattan and buy whatever we want, but why?  I'd rather be proud of my Rooms To Go couch bargain, hit up Homegoods for some beautiful pillows to make the couch even more comfy and beautiful, and save that money.  Save it for a trip with family to make more memories, or for a rainy day, because I promise you those days will come, but then they will go, and you'll know that you made the right decision on how to decorate your life......

4 comments:

  1. Love this blog. So happy the picture has brought you joy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It really has Shanna, thank you so much

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry about your dog Gretzky. Our pets become part of our family!
    Wishing you great success with this blog.
    Your Aunt Sandy was right...you are a great writer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much Gina, and please keep reading!

    ReplyDelete